Tia Catarina on Gávea-Brown

I wrote a non-fiction essay which, to my delight, has been included for publication in the latest online issue of Gávea-Brown: A Bilingual Journal of Portuguese-American Letters and Studies.

“I waited alone in the small room that promised the comfort one might expect from someone’s living room. There were a few bookshelves crammed with paperbacks frayed at the edges, perhaps left behind to be read over and over by strangers who maybe just found it helpful to flip through the pages while their minds worried over the reasons that had brought them there to wait. I sat on a sagging yet strangely comfortable sofa, looked out the window onto a barren winter garden, and for a moment tricked myself into believing I was still at home on that dull Sunday morning.”

I hope you enjoy reading the text in full: Tia Catarina

Many thanks and gratitude to the editorial committee of Gávea-Brown for giving my short memoir story a home in their 44th issue.

About thetorzorean

The musings of a torontonian azorean on identity and belonging. You can find me at https://thetorzorean.com/
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Tia Catarina on Gávea-Brown

1. Kathie B says:

Such a beautiful, touching piece of writing. Parabéns, querido Emanuel!

Liked by 1 person

2. Dawn Wink says:

Oh, how gorgeous! Thanks ever so much for sharing the beauty.
    Congratulations and bravo!
    Dawn

Liked by 1 person

3. Ilda says:

Hi Emanuel, such a beautiful and wistful story!

Liked by 1 person

4. Stephen Dow says:

Dearest Emanuel,
    Thank you so much for this tender celebration of my beautiful Auntie Cathy! She loved you so much and fully embraced your Portuguese heritage and culture. I truly believe her laughter echoes in perpetuity across the mountains at Monchique!!
    Obrigado, Querido!
    Your Stephen

Liked by 1 person

• thetorzorean says:

Because you are in my life, Stephen, I had the privilege of knowing your beloved Auntie Cathy who became my querida Tia Catarina. For this I am grateful as I am also grateful for all your support of everything I do. Your love enriches my life. Emanuel

5. Angela P says:

Dear Emanuel,

I just finished reading your beautiful story. It was so well written and so intricately woven with so many moving parts.

Congratulations my dear friend!

Angela