Photographing My Summer Garden

I was born in Sr. Borge’s house, on rua da Arquinha, in Ponta Delgada, São Miguel, Açores. I lived there until the age of two, so it’s not probable that I remember its orchard of banana trees (bananeiras), figs trees (figueiras) and araçaleiros; nonas, and groselhas. It’s also not probable that I remember the garden’s rose bushes (roseiras) and daisies (malmequeres), among the many other flowers that filled the garden. And yet I still recall that garden of childhood whenever I walk through my flower garden.

MAY

JUNE

JULY

AUGUST

About thetorzorean

The musings of a torontonian azorean on identity and belonging. You can find me at https://thetorzorean.com/
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Photographing My Summer Garden

1. valenec says:

Your pictures are gorgeous! Are these all flowers in your home garden? Also, I love the phrase “garden of childhood”.

• thetorzorean says:

I’m so glad you like them. Yes. All these flowers are all from my home garden. Maybe one day you will come and see my garden. The invitation is always there for you, my friend.

2. Carol Wells-Gordon says:

Dear Emanuel,
    Beautiful flowers, their beauty captured lovingly by your camera. You have the master’s touch. Thank you for posting these beauties.
    Love,
    Carol

3. Kathie B says:

Emanuel, you really need to adjust the attitude of your hydrangeas. Don’t they know they’re supposed to be Azorean blue??? 😉

• thetorzorean says:

Kathie, my relationship with all the flowers in my garden is one of delight in who they are and to simply enjoy them for being themselves; not to try to change them to conform to an idealized version of what it means to exist in the world. But regardless, pink hydrangea exist in the Azores, too!
      My hydrangea is on Canadian soil but I put it to you that flowers do not know nor care about issues of identity or belonging. These are human constructs that we engage in but which I am beginning to think take away from our ability to be citizens of the world. Flowers are ahead of us on this!

4. Ilda says:

I can practically touch them and smell them! Good eye, good camera, tender heart.

Liked by 1 person